[WriteLog] Writelog recording levels

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Thu Jul 1 19:24:05 PDT 2010

Gary:
>As a Vista user I have mixed emotions about the coming change to WriteLog.
>It will be great to get more control over the audio in Vista, but I hate to

>lose the "Echo Microphone" capability of recording both TX and RX from a
>single sound board.

Let me make sure I understand. You currently are running Vista and WriteLog
works OK with a single sound board on it? I didn't think it would work
properly at all. It certainly does not work reliably on a Win7 system
that has multiple sound boards, even if you only want WriteLog to use
one of them.

If it IS working for you, you'll be able to manually circumvent the changes
that will happen in the 10.77 install. All the old code in WL that supports
XP and earlier is installed regardless of OS (and the same for the new
code--old OS's get the new code as well). The only change you as a Vista
user will see is WL's Sound Board Mixer control will be replaced with
one that is appropriate for Vista. But the executable for the old control
will still be in the \Programs folder and both of them simply manipulate
writelog.ini entries. If, on a Vista system, you find and run the old
executable, then WriteLog will continue to manipulate the sound board
levels and mixers the way it always has done. And if that was working
on your Vista system before, then it should continue to work. (But I have
to ask again: if it ever worked on Vista for you, I would like a
confirmation.)

People may want to know when 10.77 is coming out. The answer
is "real soon now". It will be sold by WriteLog Contesting Software, LLC,
which is owned by myself and Steve, N9OH. But we do not yet have all
the appropriate government permits w.r.t. sales taxes, etc. etc. etc.

Wayne, W5XD