[WriteLog] Contest problems

Steve Jarrett k4fj at k4fj.com
Sun Oct 3 12:26:35 PDT 2010

Hi,

During the CQWW RTTY contest, I experienced several problems with WriteLog
which may or may not be the fault of the software.

I used two identical computers using Win XP and networked.  WriteLog version
was 10.79  Networking never failed.

One station lost call high-lighting four or five times during the weekend
and the only way I found to correct the loss was to restart the
computer.  This, of course, required re-networking and establishing packet.
A real pain in the heat of battle.  I suspect RFI getting into
the victim computer but would appreciate what others have found if they have
ever experienced the problem.

Another problem we experienced was the F keys got confused and began sending
the wrong stuff (stuff recorded in other F keys).  It is a
strange problem.  Restarting the computer fixed it.  I am less inclined to
blame RFI for this one and more inclined to think that operator error
may be to blame but I have no idea what we did.  Both ops are experienced
with WriteLog.  It almost seemed that the F key memories were stacking
the contents.

Has anyone else seen stuff like this?

73, Steve, K4FJ