[WriteLog] Contest problems with WriteLog

Mike Heideman mike_heideman at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:21:22 PDT 2010

I've observed the same behavior many times on CW and RTTY.  It happens when you log the QSO before the exchange message has finished sending the other station's callsign.  Hitting the message key again will send the full correct message.  I suspect this is a WL bug since I can't imagine why this behavior would be desired.

This most frequently happens to me on CW while running when using a single radio and I copy a second callsign and want to type it before I forget it.  In a contest such as CQWW where the exchange is predictable I'll hit F2 to send the exchange then immediately hit Enter or Ctrl-Enter to log the QSO, anticipating that the other station will simply send the prefilled exchange.  As I prepare to type in the other callsign the CW stops after sending the first callsign.  Hitting F2 again resends the whole exchange to the first station.

It could be that hitting Enter while a message is being transmitted is what triggers this weird behavior.  If Enter is hit after the callsign has been sent then the remainder of the message is successfully transmitted.  There may be other scenarios that cause this.  I avoid using the mouse during all contests so I always type in callsigns even in RTTY contests and run into the same problem on RTTY.

-Mike, N7MH