[WriteLog] buttons in entry window in SSB mode

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Thu Oct 7 11:10:03 PDT 2010

Hi Hank,

The ENTRY window buttons for a particular SSB contest are "hard wired" to a
specific wave file.  You cannot type your message in by SHIFT+Click on the
button in question as you can in a CW or RTTY contest.  If you haven't
created a wav file for a specific button you get the error message.  The
easiest thing to do is to pre-record some wav file messages in "Shifted
keys" memory bank.  The default wav file names are already preloaded on the
Shifted F keys.  The CALL button is always <msg12.wav> (SHIFT+F2) and the
other buttons in the ENTRY window increment upward one F key at a time.  So
depending on how many buttons are available in a particular contest you can
pre-record message in sequence - <msg12.wav>, <msg13.wav>, <msg14.wav>, etc.

However these wav files can only be played by using the mouse to press the a
particular button in the ENTRY unless you plan ahead.  You cannot play a wav
file message in the "Shifted keys" memory bank by pressing SHIFT+Fn as this
will invoke the Record-On-The-Fly feature which will over right your wav
message in the UNSHIFTED F key!  Not what you want to happen in the heat of
battle!  The work around is to create some Keyboard Shortcuts that can be
used to program other keys on your keyboard to play the "Shifted keys"
memory bank locations from the keyboard.

I have created Keyboard Shortcuts for the number keys 0 thru 9 by using
ALT+n to play these wav files by using the keyboard.  In Tools/Keyboard
Shortcuts in the "Command to run:" drop box there are a series of commands
called "MessageShiftPh02" thru "MessageShiftPh11" that can be assigned to
any unused keys on your keyboard.  Here is how I have mine setup.

Alt+0 --> MessageShiftPh10
Alt+1 --> MessageShiftPh11
Alt+2 --> MessageShiftPh02
Alt+3 --> MessageShiftPh03
Alt+4 --> MessageShiftPh04
Alt+5 --> MessageShiftPh05
Alt+6 --> MessageShiftPh06
Alt+7 --> MessageShiftPh07
Alt+8 --> MessageShiftPh08
Alt+9 --> MessageShiftPh09

The shifted key number sequence memory trick is to add 10 to the unshifted F
key number.  Thus Shifted F2 is <msg12.wav>, etc.  The tricky one is Alt+1
being MessageShiftPh11.  You can't name that file <msg11.wav> as that is
used for the unshifted F11 key.  For this message name it <msg21.wav>.  The
other numbers are in direct sequential order.  With this method you can play
a "Shifted keys" memory with either a button in the ENTRY window or by using
a Alt+n shortcut from the keyboard.

One final point on wav file messages for SSB.  In WL you can create many
other wav files that cannot be directly played by the F keys or the Keyboard
Shortcuts method, but that can be played by chaining them in a Normal keys
or Shifted keys memory location.  For example you could create a file called
<msg35.wav> that could then be called as follows:

F5:  <msg5.wav><msg35.wav><msg10.wav>

Hope this helps.

73,
Gary AL9A