[WriteLog] 10 meter test

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Fri Dec 9 23:21:54 PST 2011

Very few loggers are designed to avoid duplicate serial numbers in the case
you cite below.  (N1MM Logger is somewhat unique in having an internal
software structure called a "serial number server" that avoids this
situation where duplicate serial numbers are assigned when two QSOs are in
process at the same time.)  The other anomaly is that there are also a
number of serial number gaps because a serial number is assigned to a QSO
that is eventually aborted so the number is not used.  Therefore the log
ends up with duplicate serial numbers and "missing" serial numbers.  This is
absolutely no problem for contest sponsors.  So, while it might "feel good"
to have nicely monotonically increasing serial numbers, it is not necessary.
I would much rather have Wayne and other software authors work on more
important bugs and features and enhancements than something like this that
is unneeded.

So, WriteLog is working correctly for you and it doesn't matter that you
have duplicate serial numbers, or gaps, in your log.

73,
Ed - W0YK
Ed Muns
www.w0yk.com