[WriteLog] Logging Simulator

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Mon Dec 19 22:26:32 PST 2011

Don,

I've been using WriteLog for years and this is the first I've ever heard of
Logging Simulator.  There is a topic about it in the Help file if you search
for "simulator".  However, there is no way to start the Logging Simulator
from the WriteLog Program Group.  There is no such item in the list of
applications.  According to the WriteLog Update History the Logging
Simulator was added to V10.31 in March, 2002.  That's a long time ago.  I
cannot find any other reference to it in the Help file, but apparently a
later release deleted that feature and the Help file is out of date.

If you wish to get familiar with WriteLog I would suggest doing your own
simulation.  Setup a contest in WriteLog and exercise the program to see if
it does everything you want, when you want.  Be sure to hook the rig up to a
dummy load so you don't transmit misleading signals.  Type a call, any call,
into the CALL field and make up whatever the exchange fields expect.  Hit
Enter to log the QSO and do another.  Try the F keys for CW, SSB, RTTY
whatever mode you want.  Type in a call and then try to edit it to something
else.  Try editing the various exchange fields.  See if the Band Map is
configured correctly and follows your VFO movement.  Put various "spots" of
calls into the Band Map at various frequencies and see if clicking on them
will QSY the radio and fill in the CALL field for you.  Type a new frequency
on a different band into the CALL filed and when you hit Enter see if the
radio QSYs to that frequency.  Get the Super Check Partial function setup
and see if it works correctly - double click on a Call and see if it fills
the CALL field.  Don't worry about writing all the garbage out into a file.
Just highlight all the calls in the log and Delete them or Delete the entire
contest log.

Become familiar with the F key memories, how to chain together multiple
messages, etc.  Try to get the DVK working for SSB contests.  There are an
endless number of things you can try to learn the program before you go live
on the air.  If you get stuck fire off an email here and you will be sure to
get expert advice in moments.  Welcome to WriteLog and contesting.  I'm sure
you will enjoy them both!

73,
Gary AL9A