[WriteLog] Writelog Becomes Slow to Respond

Ron NØAT n0at at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 11:30:37 PST 2011

I wonder if anyone can come up with answer to this problem.  I have had this
problem for the past three years during the Minnesota QSO Party contest,
always using the most recent version of Writelog.  The problem exists on
both Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems.

The problem occurs when the curser is in the CALL entry window and I either
press a function key to send a message or I hit the space bar to tab over to
the NAME entry window.  After running Writelog for a period of time, there
is a noticeable delay in performing either of these two functions.  The
delay keeps getting longer and longer.  After the delay gets to more than a
second, I can't stand it anymore, and I shut down and restart Writelog.  The
delay is now gone, but the delay begins creeping up and up again.

This problem ONLY occurs when the Writelog Packet Terminal window is open. I
don't know why the Packet Terminal window being open can cause a delay in
processing a call, but it does.  And the longer amount of time the Packet
Terminal window is open, the longer the delay.

One solution is to operate the Minnesota QSO party without Packet
assistance, but the contest allows it and I want to see what is going on in
the PacketCluster world while operating the contest.

73 de Ron NØAT