[WriteLog] smoked writelog - lost 20m section of log

Dan W powellite at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 08:46:01 PST 2011

I am using Writelog ver 10.62H with WindowsXP (Sp 3) on a laptop.  Never had any problems in the last two years (or more).

Was (still am) running ARRL cw dx contest but when I did a save file
command a few minutes ago, I got a tiny pop-up box stating "cannot save to file type".
Writelog then terminated the logging dialog portion of the software. I had previously been saving my logs throughout the
contest without a problem.  In his particular instance, I lost the 20m
section of the QSO's (have no idea why the 20m selection), lost my CW / RTTY message key setup and the ability to re-open my contest log, saved only my 40m QSO's to an ADi file (without my pemission and with no
input from me) and I lost all the 20m Q's. Very weird behavior.

When I try to restart the log [Select Recent] from the Writelog start-up selection window or [Open File] from the main menu bar, I just get a large Red dialog box stating something about turning off the automultiplier and opening the contest selection box. No matter what I do, I cannot open my original contest file. The file has about 34K in it so I think my data is there, I just cannot access it.

Anyone know what "other" extremal" program can access the original log so I can retrieve my 20m data?

thanks

Dan KL1JP