[WriteLog] Lock Out

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 22 06:26:21 PDT 2011

I didn't see a reply to this so let me give it a shot.

First, the "Why".  In nearly all contests, Single Operators and Multi-op Single TX stations are limited to only one transmitted signal at any time.  If more than one radio is used at the station, a lockout feature assures the rule of only one transmitted signal is followed.  The lockout feature "Last One Wins" or "First One Wins" are used in two operating categories.  "Last One Wins" is usually used when operating Single Operator 2 Radios (SO2R).  There are two ways this works.  If a single PC is used, and set up for 2 or more radios, I believe only "Last One Wins" is available.  When operating SO2R with 2 PCs networked, both "Last One Wins" and "First One Wins" is available.  This is because normally "First One Wins" is used when operating Multi-Op Single TX.  Two PCs networked can be used for both SO2R and Multi-Op Single TX.

In order to activate the lockout, if you are single operator, set up WriteLog for more than one radio by choosing the number of Radios via the Radio menu.  Once the number of radios is set to two or more, "Last One Wins" becomes available.  Single operators operating SO2R or SO3R, use "Last One Wins" so that if one radio is transmitting a CQ, the operator can send on a second transmitter and automatically drop the CQ on the first transmitter.

When using two PCs networked, "First One Wins" becomes available.  "First One Wins" is used by Multi-Op Single TX stations so that the main "run" station has control all the time.  If the main radio is transmitting, then a second radio cannot be keyed until the main radio stops transmitting.  Once the main radio stops transmitting, the second radio, usually an S&P radio looking for multipliers, can be keyed to make a contact with a new multiplier on a different band.

73, Don AA5AU