[WriteLog] File Tree - Where is Stuff?

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Tue Mar 15 18:09:35 PDT 2011

Eric,

Operating off of memory here so I may not have everything exact.  As Jim
says V10.77 made a big change to where the WL default files reside.  This
was done to comply with the way Vista and Win 7 work with UAC turned on.
Basically all the default WL files now reside in C:\ProgramData\WriteLog
rather than in C:\Program Files\WriteLog\Programs.  These changes to WL
created problems for some of the plug-in's and 3rd party contest modules
whose installers were no longer compatible with the new WL directory
structure as of V10.77.  This led Wayne to add the LegacyHelper utility in
the WL program group to make it possible for these modules to still work
with the new layout.

You indicate you had difficulty locating your ARRL DX contest files due to
the revised file structure.  I'm not sure what the default WL path name is
for the contest log location, but you should be able to find it by checking
your writelog.ini file.  In the [Configuration] section you should see three
path names that specify the location of your files.

WaveFileLocation=C:\(path name)
RecordingLocation=C:\(path name)
DataFiles=C:\(path name)

If you ever want to change your default file locations, as I have done years
ago, this is where you make the changes.

73,
Gary AL9A