[WriteLog] [RTTY] RTTY

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Mon Mar 21 13:21:31 PDT 2011

Wow, there sure are a bunch of guys out there with answers!  I omitted one
thing from my RTTY setup, but that didn't stop the correct answer from
coming through anyway.  In addition to WriteLog and MMTTY I also have the
microHAM MicroKeyer II that sends my RTTY.  Phil, GU0SUP wins the first
place prize for being fastest on the draw with the correct answer.  Second
place goes to John, WA5ZUP.  The first place prize is a big steaming bowl of
Alaskan Fish Head Soup!  Second place is two bowls!

Both Phil and John suggested unchecking the "strict bps" box on the Ports
tab in the microHAM router software.  I did that and just by ear I notice a
significant increase in my RTTY sending speed!  Of course it would have
helped if I had actually reread the help manual for the MK II  where it
states:

"NOTE: DO NOT select Strict bps for MMTTY, USB option C provides accurate
timing."

Apparently in making my original router configurations I missed this verbage
in the text and went with the screen shot that showed the "strict bps" box
checked.  The Help manual also explains the reason for this check box.

"Some programs rely on the the UART "buffer full" signal for proper PTT
timing and drop PTT (unkey) when the UART buffer is empty. Because virtual
ports generally have two buffers - one in the USB driver and one in the
hardware - the first buffer may empty before all of the data has been
transmitted allowing the PTT to (drop) before the message is complete.
'Strict bps' disables the USB buffering and sends one character at a time to
the FSK output. With "Strict BPS" selected, the output will be about 20%
slower due to the presence of extra stop bits between characters but proper
PTT operation will be assured."

So both Hank, W6SX and John, WA5ZUP noticed the 20% drop in speed by ear!  I
just did a quick check with a stop watch.  When I send a test BARTG exchange
with strict bps enabled it takes 10:44 secs.  Sending the same exhange with
strict bps disabled takes only 9:16 seconds.  That's 1:28 seconds faster on
the same exchange info!

Incidentially, thanks also to Kok for his comments regarding the stop bits
and character spacing.  I checked MMTTY and on the Decode tab the StopLength
item selected is "Rx=1bit, Tx=1.5bit".  I changed this to "1bit" and tried
the same test exchange - 8:68 seconds!  My exchange was set up with spaces
between the elements as "RST NR TIME NR TIME.  I changed that to have a "-"
in between the elements so that now it is RST-NR-TIME-NR-TIME.  The test
exchange time is now down to 8:05 seconds!  That's 2:39 seconds off the
orginal exhange time!  Kok, would you also like a bowl of Fish Head Soup?

Can we get a do over on the contest now?  Thanks to all for your help.
Looking forward to absolutely blazing my way through the next RTTY contest!

73,
Gary AL9A