[WriteLog] Workaround Found: Updating the CTY files in WL (Windows 7)

Rick Tavan rick at tavan.com
Tue Aug 7 10:04:18 PDT 2012

In order to preserve historical perspective, and in recognition of past
difficulties changing the location of WL, I have always installed WL in
c:\ham. I continued that practice with Windows 7.

Running WL as a regular user, it will not download files from the Internet.
This is the case with both the File | WebUpdate Data File function inside
WL and the stand-alone ReadCTY utility. *Logged on as a user with
administrative privileges, however, the internal function at least works
fine*.

I don't know if this behavior is an artifact of where I installed the
program (c:\ham) or a consequence of how WL does its network downloads. A
better behavior would be just to work properly from a regular user login or
to pop up a request for an admin password the way many program installers
do.

If someone knows that it will work better if installed differently, please
speak up. Otherwise, I'll live with changing user IDs any time I need to
download files.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Rick Tavan <rick at tavan.com> wrote:

> Since I moved to Windows 7 I haven't been able to use ReadCTY or Writelog
> | File | WebUpdateDataFiles. Both report inability to download a file. Is
> it some kind of permissioning difference in Win 7?
>
> --

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA