[WriteLog] Serial problem with microHAM router

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Sun Jan 1 15:29:48 PST 2012

Good idea Joe.

It doesn't always happen. When it does, WL will freeze the frequency
display for a few seconds, then (sometimes) show "no RIG" for one or two
seconds (I've seen this up to 15 seconds!) then show the correct frequency.
Transmitting during this freeze time seems to make the freeze last longer,
although that's just my feeling. This only happens with R1 (K3) and never
with R2 (Icom).

The captured data gets to be HUGE in just a few moments.  I was able to get
the "no RIG" in WL just now.  The captured data shows no sign of problem
and always shows the correct frequency. It's obviously communicating with
the K3 normally twice a second. The captured data included the point in
time when WL recovers and displays the correct frequency.  I see no
difference in the router communication during that time. Is there a way to
see the communications between WL and the router?  Probably not.

I updated the router (was 7.7.1) and MK2R software just now.  No change in
this problem.
PC is running Win7-64, but I also see this with a laptop running XP.  It
could be a router setup problem, but I'm clueless what that might be.

I was curious to see if anyone else has seen this problem.

For Ed:  When the K3 fails to communicate, the Icom does not fail even
momentarily, transmitting or not.  Same problem using the "K3" or "K3
patched" radio type.  Both radios are using the microHAM router at the same
time.  However, I only use the Icom for R2 and rarely log a QSO with it.
I'm really not very good at this SO2R stuff.

I note that K5RC says that a recent MickeySoft update seems to have left
him with WL frequency reading delays. However, I've been having this issue
for months, so it isn't something a recent update caused.

73, Alan  AD6E