[WriteLog] What exactly does %X do?

Carsten Steinhöfel carsten.steinhoefel at web.de
Fri Jan 6 01:53:51 PST 2012

Hi Don,

I've only used the command in CW so I don't know if it will work in RTTY.

When you have 2 entry windows open and say are in the one for the left Radio
(Left). You press F11 to start a CQ. While the CQ is transmitted you move
the cursor (keyboard focus) to Radio (Right) using Shift-Down Arrow. Now
keyboard focus is on Right and transmit focus is on Left. If you press F4
now, your call goes out on Right ("F2 through F11 move the transmit focus to
match the keyboard focus before transmitting.").

If you did not press F4 keyboard focus is still on Right and transmit focus
on Left. Now to send a message on Left while you are still typing a callsign
in the Left entry window, say another CQ, the CQ message needs to have %X in
front of it. ("%X at the beginning of the message buffer, which retains the
transmit radio focus."). A CQ message without %X would go out on Right and
change transmit focus to Right.

Also just using Down/Up Arrows without shift move transmit and keyboard
focus.

I hope this makes sense.

73 Carsten G0SYP