[WriteLog] Updating the CTY files in WL - SUCCESS

Ray Day rayday at cox.net
Sun Jul 22 13:33:17 PDT 2012

Gert, Barry, Gary - Success at last!

Thanks to you all for your above-the-call-of-duty efforts to get my WL in
perfect shape!

BTW, I don't have a c:\programdata\writelog\  folder as apparently most WL
users do; my equivalent folder is C: \ DOCS-SETTINGS \ ALL USERS \ APP DATA
\ WRITELOG.

But I "translated" the help info I was given to this folder, and all works
OK with this as the equivalent folder on my Win XP machine.

I did all the recommended ways of doing things, but no joy. I knew something
was still amiss (and unusual). What worked for others wasn't working for me.
But I knew I was still missing something.

The breakthrough was Gert's suggestion today (apparently he had the exact
problem I had and created a workaround):

(After the wl_cty.dat file was downloaded from the Start/Writelog
V11/Convert CTY to Writelog window)

"As the next step I click on the Convert wl_cty.dat button and the program
starts converting things. (THIS I DID BEFORE)

What it does, is that it extracts this wl-cty.dat file into several other
files, these files are named:

CQZONE.DAT, DXCCDOS.DAT, DXCCDOSMM.DAT, DXCCWAE.DAT DXCCWAEMM.DAT and
ITUZONE.DAT  (NEW INFO TO ME)

These files are then in the C:\ProgramData\Writelog folder.  (YEP - IN MY
CASE C: \ DOCS-SETTINGS \ ALL USERS \ APP DATA \ WRITELOG)

When you sort the files by date, you can easily see that, after the
conversion, the above mentioned files have now the date of the latest
conversion. (TRUE)

What now you need to do, is to copy those files to the folder in which you
have Writelog\Programs installed. (AHA - THIS I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD TO
DO)(THIS DID THE TRICK)(MAYBE THIS HAPPENS AUTOMATICALLY ON OTHERS FOLKS'
COMPUTERS?)

Then all works fine." (YEP!)(THANKS, GERT)(NEVER HAPPIER TO SEE THE WORD
"MONTENEGRO" SHOW UP AFTER TYPING "VERSION" IN THE CALL FIELD)

(AND ALSO THANKS ESPECIALLY TO GARY AND BARRY WHO SENT MULTIPLE EMAILS TO ME
- MY UNDERSTANDING OF ALL THIS IS NOW MUCH BETTER THANKS TO YOU TWO)

So all's well that ends well and thanks to the hams generous with their time
and expertise! You're the best!

Thanks again, guys,

73,

Ray N6HE