[WriteLog] Request for Assistance

DickT-W0RAA dickt at w0raa.com
Sun Apr 7 16:37:49 EDT 2013

I've used the WriteLog reflector more in the past few days than I have in
years.

I have a problem that I'd like to see if anybody can help.  So this is
directed at the WriteLog and FT-950 reflectors.

I am using a Yaesu FT-950 and a SignaLink USB Interface.  Also in the
mix is an LDG AT-600 ProII Auto-tuner and M-600 Meter.

Yesterday, while in the EA RTTY contest, I noticed that my FT-950 had
dropped to only 5 watts of output power.  I have been running digital
modes (RTTY, PSK, etc) in PKT|LSB mode with no problems.

When I switch over to PKT|USB I get the same results, 5 watts out as
opposed to my normal 80-100 watts.  If I switch to SSB or CW with my
950 I have full power out.  If I switch to RTTY|LSB or RTTY|USB I get
full output, but only a steady carrier, no diddle.

Based on my not so technical diagnosis I am beginning to think I have
a problem with my SigbaLink USB Interface.

Now my question:  I anybody on either reflector running a Yaesu FT-950
with a SignaLink USB in RTTY|LSB or RTTY|USB mode?  If so, what
do you use for Menu Settings in the FT-950 that allows RTTY|LSB or
RTTY|USB operation?  As I stated above, I can only get a steady tone
out and no diddle.  I can make contacts using the PKT|LSB mode I
normally use, but at my age, life is too short for QRP.  Hi Hi.

I am trying to find a local ham that may have a SignaLink I could
borrow for an hour or so to see if it's my SignaLink or my FT-950 that
has a problem.  I really don't think it's he 950, as every mode has
full power output except when I am using PKT|LSB for digital comm-
unications.

If I could get the 950 to decode and transmit a proper digital signal
using RTTY|USB or RTTY|LSB mode I wouldn't be real conceerned,
but I have tried using those modes with no success.

I have a feeling that there is somebody using the same equipment as
I use, that can help or tell me what to do to get things operating like
they should.

Hope to hear from somebody.  Help!!!!!

73,

Dick - W0RAA