[WriteLog] WriteLog and FT-2000

ALAN ZACK k7acz at cox.net
Sun Apr 14 18:24:59 EDT 2013

I am a brand new user of WriteLog. I used it in the WPX SSB Contest just as
a logger, no connections to the rig or PC just to learn it. Now I want to do
the interfaces for rig control, digital modes, etc.

I purchased a RigBlaster Pro to help me with this but can't get it to work
for me so forget about the RigBlaster for now please.

My PC runs Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. It has 4 USB ports in
the rear and one USB in the front. The RigBlaster people sold me cables with
USB to Serial adapters built in to use. I installed their drivers and my
Device Manager says they are operating properly. Device Manager assigned
them COM4 and COM5 ports.

As of right now I have the COM5 cable with a gender changer also supplied by
RigBlaster connected to the DB-9 CAT connection on the FT-2000. This is my
only connection between the FT-2000 and PC (no RigBlaster connections at
all). I am assuming with just this cable I can send my frequency reading to
WriteLog. I have gone to the WriteLog port setup window and told it to use
COM5 with a FT-2000 with the default. But it says Port COM5 not available,
access denied.

All I want to do is do this in baby steps starting with rig control. All I
have is a USB to serial cable between the FT-2000 and my PC. The USB to
serial converter appears to be working from the info in the Device Manager
window. But WriteLog does not see the connection.

For you FT-2000 owners, is there something in the rigs menu I have to
activate for it to see the PC to rig connection? I looked at the separate
FT-2000 CAT manual but can't make any sense from it.

So for now ignore the fact I have a RigBlaster for future use. What do I
need for WriteLog to read the FT-2000 frequency?

TIA & 73,

Alan, K7ACZ