[WriteLog] AFSK and a PTT Port?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Apr 20 20:41:45 EDT 2013

> I must use AFSK with the Flex and because of the NET issue I really
> don't want 2Tone in control of the transmitter.

NET is not a significant issue with 2Tone ...

2Tone is a completely different paradigm than MMTTY.  First, 2Tone
limits AFC to +/- 60 Hz where MMTTY's AFC is 85, 125 or 170 Hz
depending on the value in the "Sweep" box on the AFC/ATC/PLL tab (and
AFCSweep in any stored profiles).   Second, 2Tone *does not* reset the
stored MARK frequency each time it transmits.  MMTTY will move the
limit in receive, reset MARK (NET) on transmit and move the limit again
on the next receive cycle.  However, once 2Tone has reached the limit,
(either + or - 60 Hz), the only direction it will move is back toward
the set point.

The 2Tone paradigm is almost equivalent to FSK (and would be if Net
were off) ...

While it would be nice if WriteLog were to automatically turn Net OFF
when calling CQ and turn it back on when the transmit frequency was
moved by more than 500 Hz or 1 KHz ("crank the VFO"), the alternative
is for Writelog users to e-mail G3YYD and ask that he replace the
"Set-up" button with a NET button.  After all, Set-up is available on
the Menu at the top of the 2Tone Window which means the "Set-up" button
does nothing more than save *one* mouse click when changing things that
typically get changed once in an entire operating session - if that
often!.   Putting a NET (ON/OFF) button on the 2Tone window would allow
the user to turn net on/off as they move from Run to S&P or vice versa.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV