[WriteLog] Sequence numbers for SO2R

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Wed Dec 11 21:21:59 EST 2013

Serial numbers are very important.  If the recipient's log shows a different
serial number than the sender's log, the QSO will not be counted for the
recipient in most contest log checking.

What I think was really meant in the reply below is that the number sequence
is not very important.  That is, numbers may be missing from the set of
serial numbers sent during the contest.  There may be duplicate serial
numbers sent.  The sequence of serial numbers may not be in monotonicly
increasing order.  These things can happen naturally and will occur more
often with multiple radios such as in SO2R.

It is very important for the sender of serial numbers to log the serial
number that was actually sent, regardless of the sequence with prior and
subsequent numbers.  If the contest rules state that serial numbers should
start with 001 and increment by one, then the sender should do try to
achieve that.  But, if the order gets messed up by normal operation, there
is no consequence.

It is also very important for the recipient of the serial number to copy it
correctly as sent.  Based on the comments above, the recipient cannot depend
on a prior or subsequent serial number to determine the one that was sent to
him.

Ed W0YK

Jay WS7I wrote:

Inherent problem and no worries.  Just let it log and all will be fine.
Numbers are highly not very important to the contest results people.