[WriteLog] Writelog for general logging?

Dean St. Hill dmsthill at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:02:08 EST 2013

Hi Andre

I would say yes, with a few caveats.

Since I'm set up as SO2R on all bands and all modes, I've found it easier
to use WL for just about all my logging. For general logging, I use two
different files - One for RTTY and the other for SSB and CW. I have to do
that because of the way the function keys are configured and where the text
stored in the f-keys would be transmitted on both CW and RTTY - whereas
RTTY needs special characters.

The second thing that should be noted is that any comments fields would be
quite limited so when using the dxpedition module, I generally just add the
person's name,

Finally, it can sometimes be difficult to import say a contest log into
your general log, you may lose some of the fields from the contest log.
This may not seem too important but if you are working IOTA, Counties,
VUCC, 10-10 numbers and so on, it will be difficult to track these fields
because of the limitations.

So, I use DX4WIN and there are several general loggers including some that
are free that may be a better general logger to help you to better manage
DXCC, IOTA, and the various other awards.

I have found this arrangement perfect as DX4WIN tracks all my critical
information and manages QSL cards, I still prefer using WL for CW, RTTY and
SSB even when I'm just casually operating as pile-ups can occur at the drop
of a hat.

Hope my few words help you in your decision-making.

Regards,

Dean - 8P6SH

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Andre VanWyk <kr5dx at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been using the DXpedition mode for general logging for many years.
> I think the latest version has a general logging module if my memory serves
> me right, but will have to check.
>
> It loads up to LOTW just fine via Email too.
>
> 73
> NJ0F
>
> ------------------------------**--------------------

*Dean St.Hill*