[WriteLog] Question on Field Day

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Thu Jun 20 02:34:47 EDT 2013

Dick,

You can run multiple modes for Field Day in a single log, but you need to do
some advance planning and setup to make the CW and RTTY macros work
correctly.  Writelog shares one bank of memory locations for both CW and
RTTY messages.  However, the macro commands are significantly different
between the two modes so unless you like reprogramming all your macro
memories each time you switch between CW and RTTY you should do the
following.

1. Setup a log for Field Day and create your memory messages say for CW and
SSB.  Save this log as you main contest logger, i.e., W0RAA FD CW-RTTY-SSB.

2. Now save this log again, but give it a slightly different name, i.e.,
W0RAA FD CW.  Be sure the SSB macros are exactly the same between this log
and the one above.  This is a dummy log and you will not actually enter any
contacts into it during Field Day.  Its only purpose is to serve as a
storage location for your CW macro messages.

3. Setup up a third log for Field Day and create your memory messages for
RTTY and SSB.  Again, be sure the SSB macros are exactly the same between
all the logs.  Save this log to the same location under a slightly different
name, say W0RAA FD RTTY.  This too is a dummy log and you will not actually
enter any contacts into it during Field Day.  Its only purpose is to serve
as a storage location for your RTTY macro messages.

4. Now go back and open the first log you created, W0RAA FD CW-RTTY-SSB.
Operate Field Day and log your CW and SSB contacts into this log.  When you
want to switch modes to RTTY, click on Setup/CW/RTTY/SSB messages... and
click on the Browse button.  Now find your dummy log W0RAA FD RTTY, select
this log and click on Open.  Writelog will import the the macro messages
from this log and overwrite the current set of CW/SSB macros with the new
ones which are now RTTY/SSB macros.  It will not disturb any of the calls
you have already logged.  Now operate RTTY and SSB modes and log those qsos
into the main log.

5. When you want to return to the CW mode click on Setup/CW/RTTY/SSB
messages and Browse to the W0RAA FD CW log to import the CW and SSB macros
from that dummy log.  Your operating log will now be loaded with your CW
macros instead of your RTTY macros.

Just remember to switch the macros from one dummy log or the other depending
upon which mode you want to operate, either CW or RTTY.  Since all the SSB
macros are the same between all the logs there is no difference in the audio
macros that will be played.

Good luck and have fun.

73,
Gary AL9A