[WriteLog] Writelog RTTY-->Remote Rig-->K3/0

Ron Lodewyck RLodewyck at csustan.edu
Wed Mar 20 16:27:11 EDT 2013

I am trying to use Writelog with MMTTY to operate FSK RTTY via remote
using the Remote Rig RRC units and the Elecraft K3/0 to K3.  I have the
K3/0 Control, K3 Remote, notebook computer connected via hardware COM 5
to Control RRC COM1 and the RRC 1258 MkIIs units working fine on SSB and
CW.

I also have MMTTY standalone working OK with the following setting:
TX-->PTT&FSK -COM9 (which is my COMFSK port as seen in Win 7 Device
Manager)
Radio Command -->PORT = NONE, DTR/RTS PTT checked
When I click TX on MMTTY's Main Panel, the K3 transmits FSK generated
RTTY AOK.
when I click TXOFF, the K3 returns to receive as expected.

So far,so good.

When I open the RTTY window in Writelog and select
MMTTY as the TU Type,
COM 9 (recall this is COMFSK) under 'Port',
and, under Setup-->Ports, COM 5 (a hardware COM port out of my laptop)
as the Elecraft K3 port,

I get the radio frequency and mode displayed OK, but the PTT and FSK
keying are both flaky.  By that I mean sometimes I can key the
transmitter, sometimes not.  Usually it keys the TX on but won't return
to Receive.  The typed text might send a few characters OK, then stop
and send a steady carrier and then, after 10 or 15 seconds (sometimes)
it continues sending what is in the typing ahead buffer.  I can almost
never get the radio to return to Receive by typing Alt-K (keyboard
typing on/off toggle) and I have to hit ESC -several times.   Sometimes
I have to close the RTTY window completely to return to Receive mode.
And a couple of times I had to actually power down the K3/0 and K3 to
get out of transmit.

I suspected RFI, but, recall, everything works fine with MMTTY
standalone.  And, I turned the output power down to less than a watt and
no change in behavior.  So I don't think this is an RFI problem.

Has anyone ever gotten Writelog to work FSK RTTY with the K3/0, K3 and
Remote Rig? I'd very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has.  I
suspect the problem is in the COM1 and COM2 port settings in the CONTROL
RRC Web Server settings, but I've tried just about everything to no
avail.  Or, possibly the problem is some combination of Writelog
settings that I just haven't got right.

I can really use some help.  Thanks and 73,
Ron N6EE