[WriteLog] RTTY PPT delay

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Wed May 1 20:28:17 EDT 2013

Joe,

My early tests last year indicated that I can get both analog audio
steams to the mK2R+ USB Audio CODEC from the Powered Speaker stereo as
long as I keep one balance control to right and one to left. MMTTY is ok
with this. Not sure about 2Tone.

Just for kicks I will go back to that early configuration tomorrow. I
did get the PTT delay down quite a bit today by setting the interrupt
time for VAC down to 3 from 7 (I guess milliseconds) and setting the WKM
driver latency to 0.

Jerry, W6IHG

> Jerry,
>
> Flex Radio's PowerSDR is notorious for software latency ... I would
> give up COMM PTT entirely and forget about VAC.  Treat the box as
> if it were a conventional radio and use the analog PTT/audio In/Out
> from MK2R+.  The only question I would have (not having played with
> a 5000) is whether you can actually get to both analog audio streams.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 4/29/2013 7:51 PM, Jerry Pixton wrote:
>> Well, now when I read Joe's message I tried to set the Writelog CAT port
>> to none. That did not work. Just now I tried to set the WinKey port to
>> none. But I got about the same response. Haven't thought how to get more
>> quantitative measurements. Just know that my signal is going out much
>> later than I want.
>>
>> With the Flex 5000 there seems to be noticeable delay - so much so that
>> I have tried to judge where the calling station would end and start my
>> message early.
>>
>> Watching my second hand I have almost over one second before I get audio
>> or RF power.
>>
>> There is definitely a latency delay that builds up in PwrSDR for the
>> Flex. It could be in the VAC pipeline - I recall from my early attempts
>> that when I use the USB Audio CODEC in my mK2r+ that the responses were
>> much better - going from digital to analog and back to digital was
>> faster than staying in digital????
>>
>> Now it looks like there may be more sources to look at???
>>
>> Jerry, W6IHG
>>
>> On 4/29/2013 9:01 PM, Gary AL9A wrote:
>>> I think the PTT delay culprit has been found!  I had previously checked
>>> my WL Ports setting to make sure the radio PTT was set to Off so there
>>> wouldn't be a conflict between software and hardware PTT.  After reading
>>> through Don's comments I reread Joe W4TV's comments below in reply to my
>>> first query about the PTT delay.  As I was in the middle of two
>>> different contests, the SPDX and the BARTG 75, I didn't give the Joe's
>>> note the thorough reading and thought it deserved.  However, upon
>>> further review...
>>>
>>> Joe refers to XMMT.ocx as "... asserting PTT on Winkey (all mode PTT)"
>>> and ended that I could check it "...by temporarily setting the WriteLog
>>> port to 'None' in Router's Ports tab."  At first I thought Joe was
>>> talking about the FSK port assignment for WL in the router Ports tab,
>>> but then it struck me he may have meant the Winkey port assignment
>>> setting.  So I set my Winkey port, which is normally COM4, to none and
>>> changed the TU type back to XMMT.ocx and reset up the MMTTY settings.
>>> Ta Da - no PTT delay with the Winkey (all mode PTT) port disabled!  Just
>>> to check I reset the Winkey port back to COM4 and when sending with
>>> XMMT.ocx the delay is back.
>>>
>>> So apparently the secret for those of us who use the microHAM router and
>>> Winkey is to disable the Winkey port setting when running the XMMT.ocx
> [...]

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs
http://www.shentel.net/pixosdesigns/RadioTuner/
jpixton at shentel.net