[WriteLog] LPT on 64 bit OS?

Mark Klocksin mpklocksin at ameritech.net
Fri May 3 18:48:00 EDT 2013

I think Steve has the right idea.  Parallel ports haven't been seen on new computers in…what…10 years?  It seems time to let the technology go.  (That said, I will try to hang on to serial ports as long as possible because so much of our ham gear needs serial ports.)

Back to your issue, I was surprised to see Steve's tale of woe.  My limited experience would tell me an internal card would be recognized by the OS as a legitimate LPT port.  And if that is the case, then Writelog should just issue requests to the OS, which would instruct the card to behave as we want it to.  So I think it should work.
And this link says Windows 7 does support LPT ports:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/parallel-ports-and-windows-7/6b24de6f-6896-439a-8223-e59985907f68

I said "limited experience" earlier because I have not used an internal LPT port in a Windows 7 computer.  However, I DO have a PCMCIA dual-port serial card adapter I use in my Windows 7 laptop.  That card works fine--in Windows 7 and also in Windows 8 for that matter.  The OS does indeed see that as two "real" COM ports.

Best of luck,

73, Mark WA9IVH