[WriteLog] LPT on 64 bit OS?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri May 3 21:21:37 EDT 2013

Due to the hardware abstraction layer in "modern" versions of Windows
(Windows 2000 and later), a kernel mode  or "ring 0" driver is required
for memory/port mapped I/O. WriteLog has typically used direct-io but it
is 32 bit driver (Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003) and does
not work with later, 64 bit versions of the operating system (direct-io
will not run under SYSWOW3264 - the 32 to 64 bit emulator - in 64 bit
versions of Windows).

There are alternative 64 bit kernel mode drivers - this one:
    http://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/download.asp?package=InpOutBinaries
is used by several other loggers and EXTFSK (MMTTY) for parallel port
FSK in 64 bit systems - but WriteLog can not use it.

I have not tried direct-io with Windows 7/32 (my Windows 7 installation
is 64 bit) to see if it still works there.  However, absent support for
a different (new) kernel mode driver that runs on 64 bit versions of
Windows (Vista/64, Windows 7/64, Windows 8/64), Writelog LPT support
is obsolete in 64 bit versions of Windows just as parallel ports have
generally become obsolete on most new hardware.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV