[WriteLog] Yet another SS CW prefill file

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Thu Oct 31 23:38:52 EDT 2013

I don't have hard data or research either, but after years of operating with
and without prefill as well as log checking thousands of logs in NA RTTY
Sprint, CQ WW RTTY and CQ WPX RTTY, I observe:

1.  Using prefill does not mean the operator does "not copy and log what is
sent".

2.  Some people who use prefill do so as a typing aid.  They copy the
exchange, compare it to the prefill and if the same, they hit Enter, thus
saving the cumulative fatigue of typing for many hours over the contest
period.  Otherwise they edit the exchange appropriately.

3.  Of those people who successfully do 2. above, many of them still
occasionally  incur errors of accepting pre-fill when something else was
actually received.  It could be a moment of fatigue or fuzzy thinking where
the operator "thought" they copied what is in the Entry window and hit
Enter.  Or, the prefill biased what they thought they heard in the QRM, QRN
and QSB.  Using prefill is risky.

4.  Some prefill users have a net benefit of the typing aid over the errors
caused by using prefill.  Many prefill users have a net loss.  Each of us
needs to determine which group we're in and not everyone is in the same
group.  ;>)

5.  By not using prefill, you can insure that you don't have errors due to
inadvertently accepting prefill in lieu of logging what was copied.

6.  It's a personal decision, but one that should be made wisely with a
realistic knowledge of the pros and cons, not just the simplistic (and,
wrong) assumption that prefill users do not copy and log what they hear.

Ed W0YK

Randy K5ZD wrote:

No hard data or research. Just years of playing the game and learning from
others. YMMV

Steve W1SRD wrote