[WriteLog] Interfacing WL to Elecraft K3

Victor A. Kean, Jr. vkean at k1lt.com
Thu Dec 4 12:06:42 EST 2014

On Thursday, December 04, 2014 8:09:46 AM Ed Muns wrote:
> Yes, it functionally works but the CW timing stutters or is off in some way
> frequently.

In my experience, keying the K3 from the PC works perfectly when an actual
hardware serial (com) port is used.  I've used 3 different computers since
I've had my K3, including an old Compaq laptop used just for Field Day.

The stuttering comes from (maybe) the OS handling for the USB side of a USB
to serial converter.  So far, I haven't found any USB to serial converters
that don't have that problem, although others people insist they work fine.
So maybe performance varies with OS loading.

I used a homebrew SO2R box this past weekend for the CQ WW CW.  The box
includes a USB to serial adapter implemented with custom code running on
a USB capable microcontroller chip.  This particular USB to serial converter
stuttered only about 10 times over the process of logging 2800 QSOs.

Victor, K1LT