[WriteLog] CW/RTTY/SSB Messages.......a request

Gary Senesac al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Dec 28 09:12:08 EST 2014

Work around for the DXPedition and General DXCC tracking modes for switching between CW and RTTY macros in WL....

Create two "dummy" logs, one containing your CW macros, the other your RTTY macros.  These "dummy" logs only exist to hold the different macros required for each mode.  Label them with "CW" and "RTTY" in the log file names to easily differentiate between the two.

When you want to change modes just go to Setup/CW/RTTY/SSB memories, Browse to the correct "dummy" log name and import the correct macros for that mode.  Then reconfigure the Rttyrite window settings to the new mode, port, TNC, etc. and you're ready to go.  No muss, very little fuss!

Gary AL9A
Sent from my Kindle HDX

On December 28, 2014, at 6:29 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists at subich.com> wrote:

> Over time, though, I have a rich enough archive of old contests, such
> that I usually have the exact contest from which I can import
> messages. Thus, I never run into the problem of messages being for
> the wrong mode. More important the messages are already customized
> for the current contest.

The one thing that this does not address is the use of DXPedition or
General DXCC tracking modes for day to day operation or unsupported
contests.  In day to day operation one is likely to encounter CW,
digital and phone modes interchangeably (unless one is allergic to
the microphone or does not know CW <G>) and in that case, overloading
the CW messages for RTTY (Data) is a problem for several reasons:
1) one would not want to send cut numbers or even 5NN in RTTY,
2) embedded CW keyer commands are sent as text in RTTY,
3) the structure of RTTY and CW exchanges may be a bit different -
particularly in non-contest settings.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV