[WriteLog] WriteLog & Microkeyer II

Joe Wilkowski k8fc at k8fc.com
Fri Jan 3 20:00:01 EST 2014

I run my station remote.  I just upgraded to 11.18 and now all I get is
"Error setting up device names for sound, Vista-Style"  I know what this
error means and I know that the sound devices do not appear to Writelog
in the same order as the last time it was started.  I have encountered
and fixed the issue before.  I know all that but, and a big but, No
matter what I do with the PC and the WRITELOG.INI file I still get the
error when launching WriteLog application.

Steps I have taken.

1. Eliminated all sound card references in c:/windows/WRITELOG.INI file.
(over and over again)
2. I have run the  WriteLog Sound Board Mixer Control application and
selected the proper Codecs IE: xmit from PC = Headset Earphone
(4-microHAM CODEC) DVK mic=Headset Microphone (4-microHAM CODEC) and rec
to PC=Line(4-microHAM CODEC).  (over and over again)
3.  Eliminated all other Audio Codecs in the system .  The MicroHAM
Codec is the only audio device available to any application. Same result.

There is some Writelog glue that is not apparent.  When I open Writelog
with NO codecs selected in the Writelog.INI file I do NOT get the error
message
"Error setting up device names for sound, Vista-Style" which is right,
there are none selected.  BUT in all cases , including when I have
codecs selected,  after the program starts  I get another error message
saying "Cant open sound card (3)"  This indicates to me that Writelog is
still trying to open a sound card that is in a different position but,
there are none.  Only the MicroHAM codec.  There are NO other
Writelog.ini files on that machine.

I have re-installed WL (but not a full up installation) but I am 1500
miles from the host PC.  I can do most anything to the PC except unplug
the Microkeyer II, that  I cannot do.

Any ideas ?  Anyone seen this before ?

Thanks in advance,

Joe K8FC