[WriteLog] PROBLEM WITH ESTABLISHING A LPT PORT AND LOADING/SENDING OF CONTEST EXCHANGES

powell.john at xtra.co.nz powell.john at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 28 22:50:17 EDT 2014

would appreciate if I could get help with my problem. The Bios battery in my "ancient" Laptop Compaq NX5000 died and since being re-activated I have been unable to transmit the contents of the Message Buffers (acessed with Function keys) The setup here is Writelog (V11.20D), Elecraft K3, Compaq NX5000 Laptop running WinXP Pro and I/O-Direct software to support the LPT keying function. Writelog does "talk" to the K3 with Freq information and tracks any variation in frequency. However, I am unable to have the "greyed out" LPT Port Option opened to accept LPT keying. I list below the various settings to assist with efforts to help with this problem, these being :-

Writelog Options
Startup Option Port Setup
Com1 -  selected (I believe that because the LPT was not accessible this was selected by default)
CW Keyer Type - PC Generates selected
CW PTT Control CW only
On LPT pin16/ COMM RTS

Writelog.ini file
CW Type = 2
CW Port=1
CW_ON_PIN1=1
CWPTTCONTROL=2
CWPTTDELAY=30
CWPTTIDLE=256
COMM1USED=CW,Poll,60

Direct-I/O
IO Ports - 378-37F
IRQ=7
Security = c:\Program Files\Writelog\Programs\Writel.32.exe

I appreciate that the "default" Comm1 settings/data correlate to the inability to access the LPT1 Port. BTW the Compaq lLaptop has one LPT output, 1 Serial Port and 2 USB Ports.

Thanks in advance to any assistance, thoughts, ideas that you may have. My 70+ year old brain has given up on this !!.

73
John Powell. ZL1BHQ