[WriteLog] County lines .. was RE: WriteLog

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Wed Nov 4 15:12:17 EST 2015

Maybe I'm to blame for this. Years ago I pushed Wayne to allow entering up
to four county names in a single QSO for CQP. He obliged and that still
works very well so far as I know. Unfortunately, it only works in logs from
outside CA. I wish it also worked for logs from inside CA since CA can work
other CA stations.

Some people just don't like the idea of multiple county names in a single
QSO. CQP actually outlawed the practice for several years but now it seems
to be legal again. The recourse is to log dupe contacts; one with each
county name given in the exchange. That's an acceptable solution, but not
ideal.

>From the log checking standpoint (I've been doing that for many years), I
don't see a serious problem. Obviously, the software needs to accommodate
multiple names, including checking to make sure they match the county line
operation log. The ancient DOS tools I wrote could do that, but others have
complained that it's a PITA. I've never understood why it's so hard..

Anyway, this is just a soapbox stand in favor of county-line operations.
Personally I think they add to the fun of all QSO parties. I know others
disagree.

73 & Aloha,  Alan  AD6E / KH6TU