[WriteLog] WL_CTY File

Alan Zack k7acz at cox.net
Wed Nov 18 20:25:08 EST 2015

Chuck,

Yes, I have been using WL for 10 years or so. In the past I would just do a CTY update before every contest and ASSUMED everything went as planned. I didn’t know about the check VERSION to see if I had the latest CTY file. But then I would notice certain calls wouldn’t be recognized or would be logged incorrectly. A good example is during the CQWWDX SSB I worked TO8M, TO2A and some others that WL did not recognize. I would have to stop and use the EDIT QSO window to tell WL what country the call belongs to. And it doesn’t remember it. If I work the same call on another band then I have to use EDIT QSO to assign the correct prefix to the call again: (TO8M=FM, TO2A=FY, etc). With CT once you told the program what country a call belonged to it would remember it the next time you logged them on a new band. It appears just having the latest WL_CTY file in the ProgramData/WL folder isn’t enough, it has to be processed by the READCTY32 program and other files have to be converted also like the DXCCDOS.DAT, DXCCWAE.DAT, etc.

Using the ReadCTY32 to download and convert the WL_DAT file I did get the correct results on one PC, the one the XYL uses, not my contest PC. I am still fighting with the contest PC trying to get the correct results. Both use WIN 8.1.

Still fighting

GL & 73