[WriteLog] CQ WW RTTY prefill file

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Sep 20 17:24:06 EDT 2015

Next weekend is the CQ WW RTTY Contest.  Hopefully the geomagnetic field
will be kinder to me then than it was today for the BARTG 75 RTTY Sprint.
Total blackout at this QTH.

This year I revised my strategy for building the prefill exchange file for
this contest.  Since the exchange is Zone number for everyone plus QTH
(State/Province) for US and Canada stations I decided to take a different
tack.  The CQ WW RTTY Contest web site has many interesting features, among
them the Score Database and the Public Logs page.  In looking at the results
for 2014 in the Score Database I noted that eight of the top ten finishers
were in EU, one, P49X, was in the Caribbean and the other two were US, K9CT
and NR5M.

I surmised that these top ten finishers had a lot of US/VE calls in their
logs along with the Zone and QTH information needed for a prefill exchange
file.  So by accessing the details of the 2014 top ten finishers logs via
the Public Logs page I was able to construct a current data base file that
would be the source of a new prefill exchange file.  This strategy appears
to have merit as the new file contains 2,169 US/VE calls, whereas my
previous file only had about 1,400 calls.  This new file can be downloaded
at the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wzepf7kj7ec3l8c/AAB6y1snXpZ0NuC7CcD_rmNta?dl=0

As always, be alert for discrepancies between what the prefill file contains
and what the station actually sends.  The over the air copy supersedes any
data in the prefill file.  For those who have never used a prefill file
before and want to give it a try the following link is to a pdf document
that describes how to configure WriteLog to use the downloaded prefill file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mckz6zbuklff0up/WriteLog%20Prefill%20Exchange%20file%20loading%20instructions.pdf?dl=0

73,
Gary AL9A