[WriteLog] WriteLog 11.32 and wl_cty.zip

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Tue Feb 23 15:38:15 EST 2016

Writelog Help,

I have spent the better part of the afternoon trying to figure out why
WriteLog (v 11.32) fails when trying to download, unzip and install the
wl_cty files.

This is the same Win7 computer I have commented on in the past that the
only successful way was to log in as ADMIN and then run the Convert app
- otherwise it always failed to download the file. I thought I would
solve the problem but not so

My other Win7 computer, that I use to shadow my contest log and in case
the main radio computer fails, has no problem using either the newer
(v11.32) method or the older "convert" method.

Today, with my usual non=admin user, I can download the wl_cty.zip file
and I find it in c:\User\All Users\Writelog. But when I click on the
Apply Update button I get messages "Failed to unzip wl_cty.dat" and at
other times "Failed to unzip DXCCDOS.DAT".

It is like there was a "write" problem. The Writelog folder in marked
"read only" for its files. But so is the folder on the computer that
works. I can not seem to change the folder privilege even as Admin?

I manually unzip the files into the Writelog folder and see all the
files with a 2/21 date. But WriteLog still says it has the Cape Verde
version, not the Peter 1 Is version. Cape Verde is the last one I went
thru the Admin user to Convert.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try. What step is not being done
when the files are just manually unzipped into the Writelog Application
Data folder? Where does the version name come from?

Really hate the kludge of restarting the computer to get to the Admin
User and using the old method of Convert for each new Country File

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs
http://www.shentel.net/pixosdesigns/RadioTuner/
jpixton at shentel.net