[WriteLog] NAQP: Logging 4U1WB

Masa Miura masa.miura.aj3m at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 01:21:17 EST 2016

Just wanted to clarify what I mentioned in my email below.

I reproduce the following from the NAQP official rules.

10. Exchange: Operator name and station location (state,
province or country) for North American stations; operator name
only for non-North American stations. Multioperator stations are
required to use a single name throughout the entire contest. The
use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication or the use
of Amateur Radio modes or bands different than those specified
for the contest to solicit contacts during the contest period is
prohibited.
11. Multipliers: Multipliers are all 50 US states, including Alaska
and Hawaii, the 13 Canadian provinces/territories (British Columbia,
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New
Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, NewfoundlandLabrador,
Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut) and other
North American entities as defined by the ARRL DXCC List. The
District of Columbia counts as Maryland. Non-North American
countries, maritime mobiles and aeronautical mobiles do not
count as multipliers but may be worked for QSO credit. Multipliers
count again on each band.

My interpretation of these paragraphs is that DC stations are asked to
send Maryland has their location while these paragraphs do not
explicitly require such stations to do so. I understand that some DC
stations interpreted them differently and sent DC rather than Maryland
in the NAQP because I presume that their understanding of "the District
of Columbia counts as Maryland." is that they can send DC as their
location while they know that it is not a multiplier.

A few asked me if I should give MDC rather than MD. I gave them my
exchange again or asked them politely to copy what I had sent. A few
others asked me if my call was 4U1WB/3 as I gave them MD as part of my
exchange. I gave them the correct call again. As many of you know, the
United Nations issued the 4U1WB call to the World Bank Amateur Radio
Club in Washington, DC.

Thank you for the QSOs.

73,

Masa