[WriteLog] Busted Edit QSO Tool

Marsh Stewart marsh at ka5m.net
Tue Jan 19 09:58:25 EST 2016

Rob,

Wayne W5XD has posted a way to resolve the busted Edit QSO Tool issue now without having to wait for V12.02 to be released. Wayne was understandably not in favor of manually editing the registry as I had done to get the Edit QSO Tool working. Doing so is fraught with danger. But, my procedure did restore the Edit QSO Tool, at least for me.

If Wayne were willing to write a script to remove the WriteLog windows positions from the registry, I wish he had written one to completely remove all WriteLog registry entries.

Here’s the post from Wayne:

Before everyone bookmarks the posting with the nine-step
uninstall/install/manual-regedit process to get the Edit Tool back, I
will try to head this off because we will */not/* be able to help
recover PCs from failed attempts to edit the Windows registry. If you
run into the "No Edit QSO Tool" problem in V12.01, I have posted this
script that will clean /only/ the WL12 saved window positions from the
registry:

http://writelog.com/Downloads/DeleteRegistryWL12WindowPositions.vbs

Because the above is a script, your browser is likely to be very, very
suspicious of it (and rightly so!) But if you have no Edit QSO Tool, the
above is a way to get it back.

IMPORTANT: AFTER RUNNING THIS SCRIPT
THE NEXT TIME YOU RUN WRITELOG, HOLD DOWN CTRL WHILE YOU OPEN ANY
EXISTING .WL FILE.
The window positions are saved in the .wl file and you'll be right back
where you started if you fail to hold down CTRL.

By the way, please don't email everyone if you notice the script fails
the /second/ time you run it--that is /normal/. Once the key is deleted,
an attempt to delete it again fails.

As a matter of policy, we don't preannounce WL features before release,
but this time I will: Version 12.02 will provide a way to clean only the
saved window positions from the Windows registry. It will work this way:
Hold down CTRL when you Setup/Save-config. (Why hold down CTRL? from
"way back" it has been the case that holding down CTRL when opening a
.wl file does not read the windows positions from the .wl. So there is
at least some symmetry here.)

Wayne

In light of the above post by Wayne:

The following should / probably will work if deleting only the windows positions from the registry fixes things. It would work for sure if the script removed all WriteLog  registry entries.

1) Run Windows 10 with a User Account with Administrator Privileges
2) Set File Explorer Options to show hidden files and folders
3) Save all WriteLog .wl contest files
4) Save a copy of writelog.ini
5) Uninstall WriteLog
6) Delete the WriteLog folders in C:\Program Files (x86)  and C:\ProgramData
7) Delete writelog.ini from C:\Windows and C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows if it appears in either/both folder(s)
8) Run script at http://writelog.com/Downloads/DeleteRegistryWL12WindowPositions.vbs
9) Reinstall WriteLog V11.23 and WriteLog V12.01 or only V12.01 if you have the full version
10) Import writelog.ini

***** Do not manually edit the registry. *****

I hope this helps and does not somehow cause more problems.

Marsh, KA5M