[WriteLog] Dueling-CQ Run Module (was Re: W2SC featured in May/Jun N

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Jun 1 06:58:57 EDT 2016

Nice article Tom, thanks for sharing.  It should be easy to beat you now:)

John KK9A - P40A

To:	"'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73 at gmail.com>,	<writelog at contesting.com>
Subject:	Re: [WriteLog] Dueling-CQ Run Module (was Re: W2SC featured
in	May/Jun	NCJ)
From:	"Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15 at gmail.com>
Date:	Tue, 31 May 2016 10:54:39 -0700

I also used this again in WPX as 8P5A.  I have a AutoHotKey wrapper around
the program for my other station automation, but I was using the dual run
mode just about out of the box from Wayne.

The switched headphones is something I desperately wanted to work.  However,
the QSO's are never perfectly in synch on both radios and you need to be
constantly aware of what is happening on both frequencies.  I have
reluctantly concluded that headphone switching is not a viable approach.  It
is even worse in WPX where the exchange is long and repeats are common.

After the NCJ article, people have asked me about dual run.  My opinion is
that the most important skill in dual run is being able to copy a radio in
each ear.  It is important to recognize that you are seldom trying to copy
both ears in once.  Generally one radio is transmitting, and the side tone
is down, so that is ear is quiet.  The key skill is being able to copy the
other radio with a single ear.  Sometimes it is necessary to get both ears
on a signal.  his is why Wayne added to capability to exit dual run mode and
have the window foci in the right state.

The other controversy is one versus two keyboards.  Two keyboards may be
more intuitive. And easier to visualize, a single keyboard with automation
is much less fatiguing over the long run.

There is really good stuff here by Wayne, but it takes practice.  It also
puts more strain on station design around symmetry and interstation
interference.

Tom