[WriteLog] CSS and radios

Wayne support at writelog.com
Sun Oct 2 17:48:46 EDT 2016

> 3.       This probably belongs on the top of the 'stupid question' pile: I'm
> assuming that a real radio/pair of radios is/are required at some point to
> get the full benefit of the sim. I bring this up because I've for too many
> years, I've not had a station of my own. This is slowly changing in that I
> currently have an ic 7000 and a k3/0 mini. The latter was purchased with the
> intent of remoting into RHR, but I've found that I'm not too jazzed about
> paying for access time.
>
> But I digress. My question isn't so much 'will the icom work with this?' as
> much as it is 'will the k3/0 work at all?'. I have my doubts about that. Now
> that I think about it, I'm guessing I'll still need some sort of SO2R box,
> yeah? (Mk2r, etc.)
These are not stupid questions. Thanks for asking. I take the
opportunity to answer them to the community.

The general answer to all questions CSS is that it comes with a help
file where we try to answer as many questions as we anticipate. You'll
get a chm file installed when you install CSS. Its under Help/Topics
after you bring up CSS.

CSS does not require any radios. Without any radios, you may use the
mouse wheel to tune, remembering the restriction you have to keep the
mouse cursor over WriteLog's Entry Window as you turn the wheel.

But, having configured WriteLog to use CSS (specifically: to control CSS
as if it were an SO2R BOX plus Winkeyer) and in addition configure
WriteLog to control a radio, then turning the VFO knob on the radio
simultaneously tunes through the CSS virtual band. But don't get too
excited about how well this might work. The CSS tunes more responsively
with some rigs than others because WriteLog's rig drivers can be pretty
conservative (i.e. slow) about deciding whether they hear on the COM
port really represents the state of rig.

No, you do not need an SO2R box to run CSS. It has a virtual SO2R box
emulation built in, including an OTRSP protocol emulation. OTRSP was
popularized by the YCCC SO2R control box.

Wayne