[WriteLog] Sound card interfaces?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Feb 15 23:15:52 EST 2017

On Wed,2/15/2017 12:13 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> It's not so much the sound chip - the majority of USB sound devices
> use a 16 bit CODEC all of which have the same theoretical dynamic
> range - it is the implementation (circuit) that makes a difference.
The poorly designed unit Joe's talking about is the SignaLink. It's
mono, it's a pretty old design, and it's got a Pin One Problem.

I recommend several good quality USB audio interfaces made for semi-pro
audio or for computer gaming. I'm using a 5-year old Tascam that's long
discontinued. I paid about $75 for it when it was still a current
product. A few years ago, I noticed that N8LP has been recommending the
ASUS U5 and U7 interfaces. I bought a U5 and borrowed a U7 from neighbor
N6NUL. I fired up both in my contest station for evaluation. They are
real winners -- great performers and a real bargain. You may need to get
out your soldering iron to make suitably wired connectors to interface
with your radio.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053131-REG/asus_xonar_u7_7_1_usb.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086995-REG/asus_xonar_u5_sound_card.html

73, Jim K9YC