[WriteLog] Vertical bandmap in WL12?

Wayne support at writelog.com
Tue Apr 24 22:18:01 EDT 2018

> I hate the horizontal format with the overlapping calls, and calls off the
> screen.
>
> Took a little fiddling around to get it to go vertical, but I love it. I
> don't remember seeing this in the documentation, but it should be

There IS a topic in the documentation named "Arranging the Windows." I admit
you might not think to look there if your question is per the subject of
this
thread.But I'll defend the documentation by pointing out that if you go to
the Search tab,type in "horizontal" or "vertical" in both cases you will get
a reference to the above topic.

The only magic thing unique to the Band Map--and I admit this is not in the
documentation--is that it auto-magically rearranges its frequency axis to
go along the longest dimension of its window. Is does this as you drag
the mouse to resize it, so I thought that in-your-face visual dance would be
enough. But if you don't know to resize it, then you're stuck indeed.

Probably my biggest disappointment in the introduction of WriteLog 12 was
that the docking/floating window system is extremely powerful, but very
few WriteLog users have figured out how to use it. Most users fight it
to the point it seems to me they are afraid of it. One of the reasons that
Save and Save/Configuration are required in WriteLog to really, really save
your changes is to encourage you to TRY. Hold down the doggone left mouse
button and drag the edge of that window around and WATCH what appears on
the screen. Those little drop targets it pops up MEAN something.
It does have a rhyme and reason that is almost impossible to
explain by typing paragraphs of documentation. you have to TRY it. And
when it is hopelessly messed up, use File/Exit and try again. (Of course,
if you really want extra credit, mess it all up and do File/Save
Configuration
and now try to fix it...)

One other hint: turning OFF View/Docked-Captions turn OFF most, but not all
of the magic resize/dock/float behavior in favor of saving a good bit
of screen real-estate.

Wayne