[WriteLog] WSJT-X and Writelog in FT8 Roundup

Ron Lodewyck rwlodewyck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:28:31 EST 2018

The days before the FT8 Roundup were quite frenetic but the advice given
here and on other related forums helped tremendously. So thanks to everyone
who provided us all with your advice and other tips.

I would like to especially thank Joe K1JT and the entire WSJT-X development
team including Bill G4WJS, as well as Wayne W5XD and Steve N9OH at
Writelog, for working so quickly to develop this new technology. It
represents a HUGE quantum leap in Amateur Radio communication as well as
contesting formats.  And kudos to Don AA5AU and Ed W0YK for creating,
promoting and adjudicating this first, revolutionary, new mode of
contesting called the FT8 Roundup. It was a blast - albeit a rather
leisurely blast :)  BTW, Joe's score in the contest is absolutely
INCREDIBLE given a single multiband dipole. How did you do it Joe? I had a
big gun station at my disposal in Maine and you kicked my butt big time.
Congrats!.

I used Writelog Version 12.33H and the latest (before contest start)
version of WriteLogUpdListener.exe and it worked perfectly during the FT8
RU Contest. This included the serial number of the DX QSOs - no problem
there!  Thank you Wayne for working on this so quickly and getting it out -
essentially error free - in such a short time. Kudos!

Here's my setup:
WSJT-X Version 2.0.0-rc5 with
Settings-->Reporting-->N1MM Logger+Broadcasts-->Enable logged contact ADIF
broadcast-->N1MM Server port number-->2333
and (probably irrelevant)
Settings-->Reporting-->Enable PSK Reporter Spotting-->UDP Server port
number-->2237
and the Colors reset and only My Call in Message, New DXCC, New Call, New
Call on Band,CQ in Message , and Transmitted Message checked.  The colors
worked GREAT to find new DXCC mults and new ones to work.
Both ADIF and Cabrillo files were created new and empty just before start
of contest.

Writelog UDP Listener on port 2333
Writelog Version 12.33H with new log set to RTTY Roundup format
I was able to monitor progress in the Rates and Band Summary Windows. BTW,
while I was typically seeing around 20-30 Q/Hr, I did have at least one 47
Q/Hr Last 10 rate while working Europe on 40M.
The Writelog generated Cabrillo file required no editing other than the
contest name.

DX Commander  version 13.3.6 used to control radio using hardware PTT on
COM port

JT Alert Version 2.10.1 worked pretty well. I did have to render its
Logging-->Last QSO API-->UDP Port useless by setting it to something other
than 2333 (I arbitrarily used 2238 - hope it didn't screw something else on
PC). If I didn't do this I got two QSOs entered in the Writelog log for
each FT8 QSO made. I also created a new, empty B4Dup database file.
Remote Ham Radio was used to run a remote in Eastport Maine  from my condo
in New Jersey. No communication lags of any consequence were noted at any
time during the contest. It was as if I were operating my own local
station. The RHR Universal Console was constantly monitored for power out
(99W for much of the contest but the K3 started doing weird stuff so I shut
it down for a few hours and when I reconnected later I turned power down to
80W. No more "funny stuff" was observed for remainder of contest.

73,
Ron N6EE