[WriteLog] RTTY guys beware of FSK in 12.23 and 12.24 (or: Very strange happening at K6HGF)

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Wed Feb 14 21:41:21 EST 2018

> ...stuff deleted...from K6HGF
> Upon starting on the RU, I found that my call was being sent as  K6HGFR.
> (Macros are correct)   Further investigation reveals
> that the letter F is the one and only letter causing a second letter.
> ...stuff deleted
The above symptom, the letter 'F' being transmitted as 'FR' even though the
RttyRite transmit printout gives only the 'F' you wanted, happens if:
a) you are running 12.23 or 12.24
b)  the Port menu in RttyRite has a COM port checked
c) and only if any of Hardware FSK, Software FSK TXD or Software FSK DTR is
checked.

The bug affects every single 'F' being transmitted.

The next WriteLog release will fix this.
Work around: If you are running RttyRIte with xmmt.ocx and MMTTY, you can:
1) change the RttyRite Ports to "None"
2) use MMTTY's setup to allocate the port you were using and setup MMTTY
to do the FSK or ExtFSK per the MMTTY documentation.

It is also possible to go backwards to 12.22, but going backwards, as it
alwayshas, requires multiple steps: Use Windows Control Panel to Uninstall
WriteLog,install using the last FULL kit you got (likely when you last
paid for a new registration code), and then using the 12.22 kit from
writelog.com/writelog.versions

Sorry about the problem. The bug went in when we added the TinyFSK support
and my test procedures didn't detect that the FSK code broke in the process.

Wayne, W5XD