[WriteLog] FW: Holding down F Keys causes Repeats (Issue solved)

Keith Beebe W3KB keith at w3kb.net
Sun Sep 2 17:55:46 EDT 2018

The issue described below is that if you hold down an F Key in Writelog it will transmit the message several times. Apparently, this is a part of Writelog (which I never knew).

My problem was I using a brand new keyboard that had arrived in shipping just hours before the CW Open contest. I installed it and proceeded to use it in the contest. It is a new Unicomp board using "buckling springs" to mimic the feel of the legendary IBM keyboards.

A problem appeared when using the F4 key to send my call.  I pushed it once but it would send my call twice. (Not good).

In reading the instructions that came with the new keyboard, it noted that "it is not uncommon for a buckling spring to become trapped during shipment."  This would cause what they called "Double Strike Characters".  That is what was happening, hit F4 and it would double strike sending my call twice !

Physically removing the F4 key from the board and resetting it (the spring is inside) solved the problem. Now it works correctly.

So, it was a combination of a problem with the physical keyboard and also realizing that Writelog will send the same message on an F key if it is held down. In this case, the F4 key was double-striking and Writelog saw that as holding down the key.

What "fun", but glad I found it.

73,

Keith W3KB