[WriteLog] Fwd: RTTY Roundup practice sessions - mark your calendars

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 15:27:23 EST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------

In the interest of helping everyone get their FT4/8 and RTTY game together,
we're scheduling an extended number of practice sessions for both FT4/8 and
RTTY. (For RTTY-only practice, don't forget we also have the NS RTTY on
Thursdays http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html )

0200-0230 UTC, 28 December (Friday evening NA time) - RTTY focus
0230-0300 UTC, 28 December (Friday evening NA time) - FT4/8 focus

0200-0230 UTC, 31 December (Monday evening NA time) - RTTY focus
0230-0300 UTC, 31 December (Monday evening NA time) - FT4/8 focus

2200-2230 UTC, 3 January (Friday afternoon NA time) - RTTY focus
2230-2300 UTC, 3 January (Friday afternoon NA time) - FT4/8 focus

0200-0230 UTC, 4 January (Friday evening NA time) - RTTY focus
0230-0300 UTC, 4 January (Friday evening NA time) - FT4/8 focus

"Focus" just means: let's focus on RTTY or FT for the 30 minutes - but if
you want to practice switching back and forth between RTTY and FT by all
means do so. I expect you'll find others of a like mind, it sounds like a
good exercise.

Operate just like it's the real thing that starts on Saturday the 4th. Use
whatever bands are open and active for you at each time slot. For FT8,
let's avoid the default "watering holes" - the following dial frequencies
as recommended by Joe K1JT in the January 2019 QST** would be a good
starting place: 3590, 7080, 14130, 21130, 28160.

For FT4 - since FT4 is a designated contest mode anyway - start with the
default dial frequencies currently baked into WSJT-x 2.1: 3575, 7047.5,
14080, 21140, 28180.

Most of all, have fun over the weekend in the RTTY Round-Up! Take some
photos of your operation and send them and/or a summary of your experience
to me, Jeff WK6I - especially anything around your decisions on how to use
(or not use) FT8. It will help me write up the contest for the QST article.

73 jeff wk6i

** Below is a link to the article by Joe K1JT for reference.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2019/January%202019%20QST%20-%20Taylor%20-%20FT8.pdf

Jeff Stai ~ WK6I ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
RTTY op at W7RN

Jeff Stai ~ WK6I ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com