[WriteLog] save configuration

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 15:36:38 EDT 2019

Great question, and I've wondered the same myself since the turn of the century!

Save Configuration saves all parameters that are in the ini file. Those parameters apply to all contests. If, for example, you change your Port assignments, you have to do a Save Configuration for the changes to be in effect next time you run WL.

The File...Save command saves the .wl contest log file. It contains all the contest-specific parameters, like which windows are open, whether they're docked or undocked, the exchange parameters and format, the CW/SSB messages, etc., and of course the log entries, notes and so-forth.

Whie the window statuses (which one are open, docked/undocked) are in the .wl file, the position and sizes of the windows are in the ini file. I'm not sure exactly how WL deals with window statuses when you open a new log from the startup window. It appears to use the window statuses from the previous contest, but I don't know if it opens that contest file to get them or if they're saved in the ini file and then overridden when you load an existing contest file. And I think you have to do a Save Configuration to save the window statuses from the current contest in order for them to be used when you open a new contest file from the startup window.  I think that's the way it works because I can see a flash of the previous layout before the layout from the contest file takes effect, and WL they previous layout isn't necessarily the last contest file I had open. Anyway, I'd prefer to see the all window status and display parameters stored in the contest file so I can tailor the look for each contest.

I *think* most of the settings under Setup... Document Settings are in the .wl contest file, which most if not all of the Setup... Writelog Options settings are in the ini file and apply to all contests.

It would be nice to have a list of exactly which settings are saved with Save Configuration and File...Save, but I can't find one in the Help file. You can make one by pulling down all the menus and checking each command for a corresponding entry in the ini file, with those that are not in the ini file being contest-specific. There are also parameters that are never saved and have to be reconfigured when you restart WL, like the current CW speeds, which radio logs the QSO, etc.

73, Dick WC1M