[WriteLog] DigiRite 1.1.32 update. and a new way to distribute it

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Wed Oct 9 11:51:47 EDT 2019

To users of WriteLog with DigiRite

There is a new version of DigiRite available. But...

Since the previous release of DigiRite, version 1.1.30, we have received
complaints from the WSJT-X copyright holders that the combination of
WriteLog with DigiRite violates their software license, the Gnu Public
License (GPL.) It is our reading that DigiRite does not violate the GPL,
but our opinion does not remove the threat that we would have to pay
lawyers to defend it. To reduce that threat to a level of risk we are
willing to take (it cannot go to zero--anyone can sue anybody for
anything in this country) we have removed the DigiRite installer kit
from writelog.com. The DigiRite sources remain open (which is the
primary requirement of the GPL after all) and are published on github
and there are some new features since 1.1.30 that might interest you.

These features are in version 1.1.32:
    1. fix a bug that poorly chooses the priority of which messages to
send to concurrent QSOs in progress.
    2. Set the CQ message and the exchange to send in DigiRite dialogs
rather than fishing around in WriteLog's f-key memories. (That was not a
user-friendly choice in the first place, so its now fixed.)

To get a running version of DigiRite 1.1.32, you have to build it
yourself (or get someone to do it for you). The software tools are
available for free download from Microsoft.  The details are at
http://writelog.com/digirite, which links to the build recipe here:
https://writelog.com/digirite-build

Wayne, W5XD