[WriteLog] digirite issues during the WW

Keith Beebe W3KB keith at w3kb.net
Mon Sep 2 13:17:51 EDT 2019

I might as well weigh in on all of this:

I too noticed many variances during my operation with DigiRite during the contest.

On the positive side, I had great "run" of CQ's at one time approaching a rate of 100.

I also had a great succession of QSOs in my loading up the queue with multipliers.  DigiRite worked them one by one and then went back to CQing.

I was the first one to call CQ on 14082 using FT4 ( I didn't hear anyone else on that frequency).  All of a sudden there was a good string of EU stations (multipliers) calling me. Now that was fun.

On the other hand, there were several times I had to resend RR73, so I did that with the Alternative Message.

I was also "muttering" many times by wondering why the other station was not responding to my call when signals seemed to be very good per the waterfall and the SNR (there were not others calling him, he kept on CQing, why wasn't he hearing me?)

I improved the decoding by switching from Fast to Deep.  I noticed that many more stations got decoded, so I left it on Deep for the rest of the contest.

We were all also fighting an incredible propagation of SF only in the 60's ... an A Index in the 40's !!! ... and a K index that reached 5 by the end of the contest.  Not good, especially for us low power folks.

An interesting experience.

Keith W3KB