[WriteLog] WL Remote setup questions

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Wed Jan 8 22:27:45 EST 2020

> I'm trying to setup WL remote and dump the RemoteRig boxes. They work but
>
> I've gone through the blog exercises and it seems to work for rig control
> and CW (only so far) when both remote and control sides are on the same
> computer.
>
> Now I'm trying two computers on the same LAN and can't get a connection. If
> I succeed, then I'll try the same two computers on different outside IP
> addresses (using my cell phone hot spot for the control computer). Once
> that works I should be good to go home. I'm at the remote site now for a
> couple more days.
>
> I'm getting a remote refusal when I click on "Connect" as if the password
> is wrong. It's not. It worked yesterday when both were on the same machine.
> I did copy the cert file to the new control machine. Is there a time out
> such that I need to generate a NEW cert?  I'm using Chrome remote to
> connect the two PCs and that's working OK.

There isn't a timeout, nor is there a need to create a new cert. Send me
the exact error message you are getting. Also, don't overlook the possible
issue with the Windows Firewall. The WriteLog installer, on the same screen
as you enter your registration code, offers to poke the necessary holes
in the
firewall. Those holes are necessary on the remote site (only.) Without
the holes,
it doesn't reject the password, though. The control site just times out
waiting
for something the firewall won't ever let happen.

If you were running a more recent versions of Windows on the remote site,
I would say that Windows itself also gives you a one-shot opportunity to
open
the firewall when you enable WriteLog's remote control on the remote site.
But I cannot remember its behavior from 10 years back. Just run the WL
Installer again and make sure you have turned on that check box.

> Since both machines are on the same LAN, what do I use for Login IP value?
> Is that supposed to be the control site or the remote site IP address?  IP4
> or IP6?
Since I don't know of anything in WriteLog remote labeled "Login IP
value" I'll
take a guess you are referring to the box labeled "IP address" in the "Login
Credentials" group on the control site. (As an aside, it really, really
makes it easier
to help if you quote exactly what you see on the screen rather than
paraphrase.)

If I have guessed correctly, then the answer is the IP address of the
remote site.
Since its local, you may use the IP4 number scheme for the address of
that PC
on your local LAN. I suspect IP6 would work too, though I have not tried
that.

> Setup is K3 to K3term. Remote PC is Win10. Control PC is Win7 (I don't use
> it much) Both have WL12.46D
>
> Second question: My remote PC is a NUC. No separate sound card so it only
> has mono "mic" input and stereo output. Therefore I won't be able to use
> the sub RX. Should I connect to the K3 line in/out jacks? or connect to the
> K3 mic input and headphone jacks? I have not yet played with the audio
> stuff as I find Winderz audio quite frustrating to deal with. Later...
I don't know for sure, but my advice is to connect the sound card output
to the K3's line in as opposed to the K3's mic input. That's because the
mic input impedance is likely a mismatch and maybe the frequency response
might not be what you want--but those are all guesses.

For the other direction, RX audio from K3 to the PC, I have more confidence
in saying it you'll want to use the K3's headphone output if you want to
use the K3term's audio gain. Although I think the K3's line out can be
configured
for the AF gain to control it as well. or not.