[WriteLog] FD preparation

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Sun Jun 21 12:28:44 EDT 2020

I'll comment on the second question first:

> 2.       IC-9700 Latest Firmware Ver. 1.24.  WL indicates ‘No Rig!’ by any Icom
> radio type selected through USB port (CP210x 64bit driver installed and working
> with WSJT-X).  Is there any way to obtain the rig driver for IC-9700 or update
> the existing driver with proper CIV address ?
You are correct to note that current versions of WriteLog do not have an
IC-9700 setting. There is more than one way to deal with this, but here
is one: The '9700 command set is very similar to to the IC-7610, which
has a different CI-V address. You may change the CI-V Address in the
'9700 to 98 using the instructions on page 8-14 (that's in the English
translation of the manual). WriteLog's IC-7610 driver does not currently
have any way to override its setting of 98. WriteLog's drivers for older
WriteLog rigs do accept an address override if you look in WriteLog's
help for [Rigs]

> 1.       TS-890S Latest Firmware Ver. 1.0.3.   If USB-D is selected on 890,
> Freq/Mode indication in QSO Entry Window shows ‘LSB’ instead of ‘USB’ or
> ‘USB-D’ with Rig Type Kenwood.  If I changed to TS-2000, or TS-590 in WL, and
> if set  the band-stacking around on 890, mode is now ‘USB’.  But power cycle
> 890, then WL indicates back to LSB.  If TS-850 is selected, indicating ‘LSB’
> which is same as selecting ‘Kenwood’.  So looks like caused reason is in WL rig
> driver.  Is there any way to update the rig driver for Kenwood TS-890 or import
> from 3rd party ?
Kenwood chose to make the TS-890 compatible with none of the TS-2000 nor
TS-590, nor earlier Kenwood command sets, and there currently is no
WriteLog driver that supports the TS-890 command set. In fact, a quick
reading of their "TS-890S PC CONTROL COMMAND Reference Guide" makes no
mention of many of the commands used by WL for those 3 rig settings you
tried. If Kenwood's document accurately represented the behavior of the
TS-890 (i.e. that commands missing from their document did not respond)
then none of those rig drivers would be able to read nor set any mode
nor frequency, but you report some things do partially work.

If you have a TS-890 and would like to beta test a WriteLog driver
update, respond directly by email to me, w5xd at writelog.com.  But its
very unlikely anything will be ready by Field Day.

Wayne