[WriteLog] Problems Switching RX Audio in SO2R

Ken Claerbout kenk4zw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:56:49 EDT 2020

After resolving the Windows registry problem last week, I thought I was
home free.  Not so fast.

I'm using a new Surface Pro 7 tablet with the W5XD multi+MK1100 SO2R box.
For my money it's still the smoothest SO2R system, if you have the box.
The tablet has only one USB port, so I'm using a USB hub for connections,
including the W5XD SO2R box, which has an RS-232 connection.  I'm using a
USB to RS-232 converter.  It may sound a bit messy but, it's really not and
everything works except for one function. It doesn't switch RX audio
between the two radios.  It continuously feeds audio from the left radio
into the headphones.  Even in split headphone mode, the left radio is fed
into both ears.  I can hear that the relay in the W5XD box is not switching
when I toggle between the left and right radio in the QSO entry window.

If I take that USB hub, remove it from the tablet and plug it into my
desktop USB port, everything works including the RX audio switching.  I can
hear the relay in the W5XD switching when I toggle between the two radios.

It seems like there is either something incorrectly configured in Writelog
on the tablet or the tablet is not signaling the W5XD box to switch.
Again, all the other functions work fine on the tablet. I imported the
contest log and ini file from the desktop, to ensure the configuration is
the same.  I swapped out the USB to RS 232 converter with a different brand
to no avail.  These are converters that have the real FTDI chipset.

I've spent two days on this and I'm stumped.  The reason I'm not using the
desktop is because the mic audio routing through it has too much of a
delay, making it unusable.

I'd welcome any suggestions you might have.

73
Ken K4ZW